Occasionally your machine's bill validator may benefit from a firmware update to enable a new note series.
This article applies to the JCM iVIZION validators present in the majority of Douros, Douro II, Sintras, and Sintra Fortes. Some currencies may use a UBA or iPRO series validator. The process is similar, though please check with us for any differences.
- Windows laptop (XP, Vista, 7, 10)
- USB Standard-A to Male Mini-B USB cable
- JCM Tool Suite software (contact support to obtain this)
- New firmware file
Preparing your computer
Contact support by email to obtain the JCM Tool Suite software. Install the JCM Tool Suite software to a Windows-based PC. The toolsuite software and validator drivers are confirmed to work with Windows 7, 8, and 10.
Save the firmware archive provided to you by email and extract the zip. Inside, the firmware file is the one ending in .bin (e.g., iVIZION-100_SS-SU_28243_ID003_AUS.bin)
It may be helpful to also reference the JCM Tool Suite Software Installation Guide.
Preparing the machine
Power on your machine if it isn't already, and open your machine's main door.
Open the interior vault door (if equipped).
On a Douro or Douro II, locate the two hex screws on both sides above the mouth of the bill validator. Use the hex wrench provided with the original key set to remove these screws. A metric hex multi-tool will also have a compatible size driver.
These screws hold in a metal bezel. Tilt the top of the plate towards you, and pull it upwards and outwards. Note: you may need to gently push on the bill validator mouth as there are two white plastic parts which can block the metal plate from being removed.
On all models, you'll now notice a mini-USB port on the front of the validator. Plug the mini-USB cable into this port and the full-USB side into your computer.
Loading the firmware
- Open the JCM Tool Suite software. On the first window you're presented with, under 'Communication Status' it will say 'Connecting' until communication with the bill validator has been established, at which time the remaining fields will populate.
- After a minute if it doesn't connect, check to make sure the machine is powered on (you should hear a noise from the validator as it engages upon boot), close the JCM Tool Suite program, disconnect and reconnect both ends of the USB cable, and open the program again.
- Click the 'Service Mode' dropdown box and select 'Download'.
- Click browse and select the firmware file (the one which contains the currency code as the file extension.)
- Below the Download button, check to make it displays 'Online' in green.
- If it states 'Online', click Download.
- When finished, you'll notice the bill validator emit a blue light and hear it re-engage.
- Safely eject the hardware from Windows, then disconnect the USB cable.
- Reboot the machine: see the Powering on/off section for instructions.
The bill validator is now updated. You may replace the front vault bezel, close up the machine, and proceed with test transactions. Please test each denomination of your currency's notes.